Fr. James' Lectionary

The Lectionary is both a reading program for completing all of Holy Scripture on a one year schedule, and a daily comment on a portion of the day's reading wedded to a poem to give an added perspective on the theme.

Name:
Location: Amherst, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Joyful Acclamation: Bible Comment on II Chronicles 15 With poem by Philip Doddridge, O Happy Day

Daily Readings
Sirach 3:30-4:31, I Kings 18, II Chronicles 15, Jeremiah 17

Daily Text: II Chronicles 15

This Joyful Acclamation
There is in II Chronicles 15 a celebration of the words of Azariah son of Oded by Asa King of Judah that provides one of the great commitment ceremonies of all time. Not only the King, but the people commit themselves to the LORD God in perpetuity. They get a little carried away both in celebration and in the carrying out of their intent for they determine to put to death anyone who does not conform with the national covenant to seek God. In fact, here it is that Asa removes the Queen Mother for pagan ritual. If we, however, focus only on the excess and fail to see the integrity of their devotion, we miss the significance of this celebration, this joyful acclamation “for they had sworn with all their heart, and had sought him with their whole desire, and he was found by them….(15:15).

O Happy Day, That Fixed My Choice
Philip Doddridge

It’s done, the great transaction’s done!
I am my Lord’s and he is mine;
He drew me and I followed on,
charmed to confess the voice divine.
Now rest, my long-divided heart,
fixed on this blissful center, rest.
Here have I found a nobler part;
here heavenly pleasures fill my breast.

from United Methodist Hymnal 1989, no. 391,
based on II Chronicles 15:15
522:173

Collect for the Day
O Thou Supreme! most secret and most present, most beautiful and strong! What shall I say, my God, my Life, my Holy Joy? What shall any man say when he speaks of Thee?

[286:2 St. Augustine, 354-430]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home