Fr. James' Lectionary

The Lectionary is both a reading program for completing all of Holy Scripture on a one year schedule, and a daily comment on a portion of the day's reading wedded to a poem to give an added perspective on the theme.

Name:
Location: Amherst, Virginia, United States

Friday, July 07, 2006

Boneyard: Bible Comment on Ezekiel 37 with poem by Edward Taylor, Meditation Twelve

Daily Readings
Psalm 101, I Samuel 7:3-17, Ezekiel 37, John 16

Daily Text: Ezekiel 37

Boneyard
Resurrection this is not. First, it is a vision. Second, it is a vision about bringing the nations of Israel and Judah back together from their common ‘grave’ in Babylon. This vision is entrained with chapter 36:22-38. Note that Ezekiel 37:14 quotes 36:27. God is going to bring about a new creation, however, for the nations of Israel and Judah are dead. The only life in the land of Israel is the life of the One God, and one should not say ‘only life.’ That life is the source of all life. Our source will breathe the breath of life into the boneyard of his people. But more than that he will give them divine governance through ‘David.’ Is this Messiah? Most likely. This new people, this reconstituted dead nation, will have divine assistance in abandoning their former apostasies and will be assigned a new covenant, one of peace and blessing and the eternal indwelling of the Holy One.

Meditation Twelve
Second Series
Edward Taylor

Dull. Dull indeed! What shall it e’er be thus?
And why? Are not thy promises, my Lord,
Rich, quickening things? How should my full cheeks
To find me thus? And those a lifeless word?
My heart is heedless: unconcerned hereat:
I find my spirits spiritless, and flat.


Thou courtst mine eyes in sparkling colors bright.
Most bright indeed, and soul enamoring,
With the most shining sun, whose beams did smite
Me with delightful smiles to make me spring.
Embellished knots of love assault my mind
Which still is dull, as if this sun ne’er shined.

David in all his gallantry now comes,
Bringing to tend thy shrine, his royal glory,
Rich prowess, prudence, victories, sweet songs,
And piety to pencil out thy story;
To draw my heart to thee in this brave shine
Of typic beams, most warm. But still I pine.

Shall not this lovely beauty, Lord, set out
In dazzling shining flashes ‘fore mine eye,
Enchant my heart, love’s golden mine, ‘til’t spout
Out streams of love refined that on thee lie?
Thy glory’s great: Thou David’s kingdom shalt
Enjoy for aye. I want and that’s my fault.

Spare me, my Lord, spare me, I greatly pray,
Let me thy gold pass through thy fire until
Thy fire refine, and take my filth away.
That I may shine like gold, and have my fill
Of love for thee; until my virginal
Chime out in changes sweet thy praises shall.

Wipe off my rust, Lord, with thy wisp me scour,
And make thy beams perch on my strings their blaze.
My tunes clothe with thy shine, and quavers pour
My cursing strings on, loaded with thy praise.
My fervent love with music in her hand
Shall then attend thyself, and thy command.
395:433

Collect for the Day
Loving God, help us to love what is truly perfect, so that we may neither speak what is evil nor do what is wrong. Then bring us to stand in your presence, to sing of your mercy and justice in the company of all your saints, through Jesus Christ our Saviour. [476:839:101 Psalm prayer]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home