Fr. James' Lectionary

The Lectionary is both a reading program for completing all of Holy Scripture on a one year schedule, and a daily comment on a portion of the day's reading wedded to a poem to give an added perspective on the theme.

Name:
Location: Amherst, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Judge the Bloody City: Bible Comment on Ezekiel 22 with poem by George Macdonald, Oneness With Him

Daily Readings
Ecclesiastes 6 Judges 17 Ezekiel 22 John 1

Daily Text: Ezekiel 22

Judge the Bloody City
Every kind of immorality is noted in Ezekiel 22: personal, sexual, legal, economic and religious. Jerusalem is a cesspool in the eyes of God. Named are the princes, the priests, the officials, the prophets, and the whole people. Nowhere does God find the holy man or woman, even the one who has the city’s welfare at heart enough to repair damage to the walls, to the simple defense of the city. Dross are they, says God, no good metal here. Judge the bloody city, Ezekiel, judge it!

Oneness With Him
George Macdonald
1824-1905

I take a comfort from my very badness:
It is for lack of Thee that I am bad.
How close, how infinitely closer yet
Must I come to Thee, ere I can pay one debt
Which mere humanity has on me set!
“How close to Thee!”—no wonder, soul,
thou art glad!
Oneness with Him is the eternal gladness.
407:235

Collect for the Day
Lord Jesus Christ,
King of kings:
you have power over life and death,
you know even that which is not clear, but hard to understand,
what I think and feel is not hidden from you.
Therefore, cleanse me from my hidden sins,
for you have seen the wrong I have done.

As each day passes,
the end of my life becomes ever nearer,
and my sins increase in number.
You, Lord, my Creator, know how feeble I am,
and in my weakness, strengthen me;
when I suffer, uphold me,
and I will glorify you,
my Lord and God.
[489:64 Ephraem of Syria, c. 306-73]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home