Fr. James' Lectionary

The Lectionary is both a reading program for completing all of Holy Scripture on a one year schedule, and a daily comment on a portion of the day's reading wedded to a poem to give an added perspective on the theme.

Name:
Location: Amherst, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Integrity: Bible Comment on Deuteronomy 22 with poem by Howard Arnold Walter, I Would Be True

Daily Readings
Proverbs 4, Numbers 29, Deuteronomy 22, Matthew 27

Daily Text: Deuteronomy 22

Integrity
In this mix of laws in Deuteronomy 22, those concerning sexual offenses quickly dominate the chapter. They follow the rules governing the treatment of your neighbor’s animals and goods and the prohibitions against mixing a variety of animals and materials. Those regulations concerning the treatment of a neighbor’s animals and goods are reminiscent of ‘loving your neighbor as yourself.’

The sexual issues range from blame-casting by a husband who does not like his wife after he marries her, to adultery, rape, seduction and transvestite behavior. Again, the concern is for integrity in Israel, as opposed to following the practices of the Canaanites and other local peoples.

I Would Be True
Howard Arnold Walter
1883-1918

I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.

I would be friend of all—the foe, the friendless;
I would be giving, and forget the gift;
I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
I would look up, and laugh, and love, and lift.

I would be learning, day by day, the lessons
My heavenly Father gives me in his Word;
I would be quick to hear his lightest whisper,
And prompt and glad to do the things I’ve heard.
407:390

Collect for the Day
Come, my Light, and illumine my darkness.
Come, my Life, and revive me from death.
Come, my Physician, and heal my wounds.
Come, Flame of divine love, and burn up the thorns of my sins,
Kindling my heart with the flame of thy love.
Come, my King, sit upon the throne of my heart and reign there.
For thou alone art my King and my Lord. [286:4:5 St. Dimitrii of Rostov, 17th century]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home