Fr. James' Lectionary

The Lectionary is both a reading program for completing all of Holy Scripture on a one year schedule, and a daily comment on a portion of the day's reading wedded to a poem to give an added perspective on the theme.

Name:
Location: Amherst, Virginia, United States

Monday, April 10, 2006

Guidelines for Vows: Bible Commentary on Leviticus 27 with poem by Thomas Ken, Morning Hymn

Daily Readings
Psalm 59, Numbers 6:1-21, Leviticus 27, Matthew 5

Daily Text: Leviticus 27

Guidelines for Vows
Leviticus 27 is a collection of guidelines for carrying out vows that have been made at an earlier time. Three sorts of vows are characterized. The first is a vow dedicating a human being to God. The redemption price for each is set out by age and gender. The second relates to animals and real property that have been pledged as divine gift, and names the procedures for redeeming them. The final vow has to do with irreversible or devoted animals or property that must be given. 'Cherem' means devoted and frequently was something taken in battle and promised without qualification to the Lord. Generally, these matters are explained elsewhere and only the redemption procedures are listed in this appendix to the Law of Holiness.

Morning Hymn
Thomas Ken

Awake, my soul, and with the sun
Thy daily stage of duty run;
Shake off dull sloth, and joyful rise
To pay thy morning sacrifice.

Wake, and lift up thyself, my heart,
And with the angels bear thy part,
Who all night long unwearied sin
High praise to the Eternal King.

All praise to Thee, Who safe hast kept
And hast refreshed me while I slept!
Grant, Lord, when I from death shall wake,
I may of endless life partake!

Lord, I my vows to Thee renew;
Disperse my sins as morning dew:
Guard my first springs of thought and will,
And with Thyself my spirit fill.

Direct, control, suggest this day
All I design, or do, or say;
That all my powers, with all their might,
In Thy sole glory may unite.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow!
Praise Him, all creatures here below!
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host!
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!
407:398

Collect for the Day
God of power, deliver us from evil and confirm our trust in you, that with our rising we may sing of your justice and exult in your mercy. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ the Lord. [476:780:59 psalm prayer]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home