Fr. James' Lectionary

The Lectionary is both a reading program for completing all of Holy Scripture on a one year schedule, and a daily comment on a portion of the day's reading wedded to a poem to give an added perspective on the theme.

Name:
Location: Amherst, Virginia, United States

Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Name-Signs

Daily Readings
Psalm 10 Genesis 11 Isaiah 12 Acts 10

Daily Text: Isaiah 12

The Name-Signs
The theme of 10:33-11:16 is sung in chapter 12. The Song of the Redeemed, a song of Thanksgiving, a song. It recognizes judgement, it imbibes deeply and joyfully in the waters of salvation, and identifies the presence of God with them. This psalm of thanksgiving sums up the first eleven chapters of Isaiah. In a sense the name-signs of Isaiah’s children are present, not literally, but figuratively. The remnant is singing, singing for joy for the spoils are theirs—God is their salvation, the God who is with them, Immanuel.

Paraphrase
Michael Drayton
1563-1631

O Living Lord, I still will laud Thy name,
For though Thou wert offended once with me,
Thy heavy wrath is turned from me again,
And graciously Thou now dost comfort me.

Behold, the Lord is my salvation,
I trust in Him, and fear not any power;
He is my song, the strength I lean upon,
The Lord God is my loving Saviour.

Therefore with joy out of the Well of Life
Draw forth sweet water which it doth afford;
And in the day of trouble and of strife
Call on the name of God, the living Lord.

Extol His works and wonders to the sun;
Unto all people let His praise be shown;
Record in song the marvels He hath done,
And let His glory through the world be blown.

Cry out aloud, and shout on Zion’s hill,
I give thee charge that this proclaimèd be:
The great and mighty King of Israèl
Now only dwelleth in the midst of thee.
411:394

The Second Song of Esai

George Wither
1588-1667

1.
LORD, I will sing to Thee,
for thou displeasèd wast,
And yet withdrew’st thy wrath from me,
And sent me comfort hast.
Thou art my health, on whom
A fearless trust I lay;
For thou, oh Lord! thou art become
My strength, my song, my stay!

2.
And with rejoicing now,
Sweet waters we convey,
Forth of those springs whence life doth flow;
And thus, we therefore say,
Oh, sing unto the Lord;
His name and works proclaim;
Yea, to the people bear recórd
That glorious is his name.

3.
Unto the Lord, oh sing,
For wonders he hath done,
And many a renownèd thing,
Which through the earth is known.
Oh sing aloud, all ye
On Sion-hill that dwell;
For, lo, thy Holy One in thee
Is great, or Israèl!
411:393

Collect for the Day
O God, by the humiliation of your Son you lifted up this fallen world, rescuing us from the hopelessness of death. Grant your faithful people a share in the joys that are eternal; through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen [Lutheran Book of Worship, p. 21, Third Sunday of Easter]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home