Fr. James' Lectionary

The Lectionary is both a reading program for completing all of Holy Scripture on a one year schedule, and a daily comment on a portion of the day's reading wedded to a poem to give an added perspective on the theme.

Name:
Location: Amherst, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

God of Peace

Daily Readings
Psalm 119:97-120 + I Kings 5 + I Chronicles 23 + Jeremiah 18

Quote of the Day
So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him. Then the word of the LORD came to me: can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the LORD. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. Jeremiah 18:3-6 the LORD to Jeremiah

Daily Text: I Kings 5

Lectio What one word or phrase from the Daily Text leaps out at you? ‘Comment’ below.

God of Peace
God denied David the privilege of building the temple to house the Ark of God, and the issue seems to have been that the people were not yet ready to become a settled people. They were used to carrying God in their midst in peace and war. Too David may have been desirous of helping consolidate the kingdom by making his capitol, Jerusalem even more impressive than it was. The Chronicler in chapters 22 and 28 suggest that it was because David had blood on his hands that God denied him the privilege of building the temple. But in I Kings 5 it seems to be that David was so busy consolidating the kingdom with continuous or near continuous wars, that God reserved the right for his son to build this special place. All of these insights may well have their rightful place.

YHWH reserved the right to have it built in a time of peace. It is interesting the little glimpses we get in the Hebrew scriptures of God preferring peace to war. They are counter cultural glimpses, yet these glimpses are present, as with the wise woman of Abel [II Samuel 20:18,19]. Solomon put it well, “…the LORD my God has given me rest on every side; there is neither adversary nor misfortune. S I intend to build a house for the name of the LORD my God…[I Kings 5:4,5]. It is indeed a God of peace and reconciliation that we serve, one who looks so unlike a god of war that when we see some of the passages in the Hebrew Scriptures we wonder, “Is this the same God?”

Meditatio What would you add to this commentary on the Daily Text? ‘Comment’ below.

O To Be A Dragon
Marianne Moore

If I, like Solomon,…
could have my wish—

my wish…O to be a dragon,
a symbol of the power of Heaven—of silkworm
size or immense; at times invisible.
Felicitious phenomenon!
395:234

(Alternative poem? Include under ‘comment’ below.)

Oratio Conspire to respond with an act of kindness for someone you encounter today. Make it loving, low key and low risk. Hold a door, clean a car, give a flower, notice the unnoticed, make Christ’s love real. Write your experience below under ‘Comment.’

Contemplatio Enjoy what God is doing through you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home